Friday, March 5, 2010

Running in the Rain


I usually try to run in cute little outfits.  I admit that I match my top to my shorts…and possibly socks.  Don’t even get me started on committing to a running shoe color (that could change the color palette that I can work with for the next 400 miles…or 3-6 months).  Anyway, in general during the spring/summer/fall, I am one coordinated, fashionable runner.  Once winter comes around…look out!  As a good friend of mine told me in high school, “You wouldn’t know fashion if it hit you in the face and said, ‘hey, I’m fashion.’” 
30 degrees: 2 tops, 1 bottom. Long-sleeve base layer and a vest keep your core warm. Tights (or shorts, for polar bears).
10 to 20 degrees: 2 tops, 2 bottoms. A jacket over your base layer, and wind pants over the tights.
0 to 10 degrees: 3 tops, 2 bottoms. Two tops (fleece for the cold-prone) and a jacket. Windbrief for the fellas.
Minus 10 to 0 degrees: 3 tops, 2 bottoms, extra pair of mittens, 1 scarf wrapped around mouth or a balaclava.
Minus 20 degrees: 3 tops, 3 bottoms, 2 extra pairs of mittens, 1 balaclava, sunglasses. Or, says Arribas, "Stay inside."
Don’t worry, I’m not one of those people who runs in under 10 degrees.  My limit is 15 degrees.  If it is raining, it feels 10 degrees colder than regular.   Running in the cold is all about keeping warm.  Another issue with the cold is that during the winter, there are less hours of daylight, so the cars will try to run you over more than usual.  Here is my get-up for a 6-miler in 41 degrees and light rain.
 
 

1-      It is difficult to tell, but I have a stocking hat under a running cap.  I’ve found that stocking hats shift around while running.  A running cap (think baseball cap but is thinner and wicks away moisture) holds the stocking hat in place and helps to keep the rain out of my eyes.
2-      This is a light that clips to my hat.  I can use it on any hat with a visor.  (A great Christmas gift from Al!!)  It’s great at lighting my way and making my appearance known so people don’t run me over…always a plus.
3-      Sunglasses are great at keeping water out of the eyes, but how often is it raining and sunny…not often.  These are yellow tinted glasses that brighten everything up and keep the rain out of my eyes.
4-      Bad guys look out!  I have pepper spray, and if I remember how to use it and don’t manage to spray myself, you are totally sprayed!!
5-      My water belt has been with me through hundreds and hundreds of miles.  It keeps me hydrated…when I remember to drink the water (apparently just wearing it doesn’t do the trick).
6-      This was something new that I tried, and it was EXCELLENT!  I saw this on the internets somewhere.  I put my foot in a zip lock bag and secured it with a hair tie (those things can do anything).  It kept my foot warm and dry.  Here is a close up…
So running in the cold/rain isn’t glamorous, but it keeps me in shape so I look cute in my coordinated, non-crazy looking, running outfits.






No comments:

Post a Comment