Thursday, March 11, 2010

An open letter to mother nature...


This week’s temperatures were in the 60s!!!!  I was able to get in a 6 mile run and an 8 mile run…in shorts!  Somehow a tank top and shorts felt naked compared to just a week ago when I was a gender neutral blob of layers.
I was getting ready for the run and looked at my winter running gear.  “It is March,” I thought to myself.  “I should be able to put this stuff away”…but it has been one hell of a winter here in Northern Virginia.  For those of you who are unaware, the DC area got 2 feet of snow followed by another 8 inches 4 days later last February.  Now this is an area that can’t even handle 2” of snow…never-the-less when they are measuring it in feet!  This is pretty much what happens when there is any snow predicted for this area…http://snowpocalypsedc.com/.   Not only does the area not have the equipment to handle the snow, they buy really strange equipment like this…http://www.nbcwashington.com/news/local-beat/DC-Snow-Melter-Spotted-85741287.html  Ummm…whatever happened to plows?  You know how many plows for the front s of pick-up trucks $120,000 would buy?  I don’t, but I’m sure it is a lot…and I’m sure they would collectively clear away more snow than any Harry Potter magic melting machine.

Anyway, so we got a mega-ton of snow this winter.  You can see that P and G were not so thrilled about the snow…”Hey Ma!  Where do we pee??”




I would like to take this time to write an open letter to Mother Nature…
Dear Mother Nature,
There are only three things that you expect from living in Virginia…
1)      That you can get a firearm as easily as you can get change for a dollar.
2)      That you can’t buy liquor in a grocery store and must go to a government run facility.
3)      That you can expect a mild winter with very little snow.
So far so good until this winter…I feel like I should be able to report you to the Better Business Bureau…but you don’t exactly have an address for place of business.  I really feel like the DC Metro area has paid its dues this year for winter (actually we’ve paid our dues for the next three winters as well).  I would like to be able to put my winter running gear away without you throwing me a cold front and another foot of snow.  I’ve really enjoyed the last couple of days of being able to run outside and would like to officially declare winter OVER.  So please don’t get a giggle out of dumping snow on me after I’ve pack my gloves and such away.  Also, I’ve put my plants out on the patio…so lows above 32 would be super.
Sincerely,
Anne Marie
PS…Don’t think that you can make up for the low temps this past winter by making the summer especially hot…that’s just not cool.

No comments:

Post a Comment