Thursday, March 18, 2010

Mind Games


I talk to myself…a lot.  Mostly just inside my head, but occasionally aloud and in public.  Usually this is while I’m running.  (But sometimes when I am at the mall, I just can’t help myself but utter out loud, “Good dear Lord that is ugly—avert your eyes!!!”)  Anyway, long distance running can become boring, and when you are bored, you notice every step and every pain.  There are several techniques to avoid boredom while running (or doing any cardio for that matter)…
1)      Try out different routes and trails.  This will give you different scenery to check out.  When I use a new route, I will print out a map or write out directions.  I get lost VERY easily, so I’m really paranoid about missing my turn.  Following the new route keeps the boredom at bay.
2)      Listen to music.  I have a huge variety of tunes on my mp3 player for my many different crazies moods.  I have a playlist of high intensity music when I need motivation.  I have many musicals that keep me occupied with the story line…and of course Lady Gaga, which serves the purpose for me to dance in my head.
3)      If you’re training for a race, imagine seeing your friends along the race route and crossing the finish line.  Be careful that you don’t speed up too much during this because if you spend too much of your energy at once, you won’t be able to get home.  Practice keeping your cool and staying calm.  Race day emotions can run high, and keeping them in check will lead to a stronger performance.  While racing I try to imagine a regular run in on the trail.  So yes, while I train I visualize the race, and when I race I visualize the training…it works even if it is crazy.
4)      One mind game that I’ve come up with is this: imagine that you’ve just won the lottery, and you are going to take each of your family members and friends on an individual vacation.  Where do you take each person, and what do you do?  Don’t think about it now!  Wait until you are running.  My brother and I are going to go to London, and my mom and I are going to see a Paul McCartney concert from the front row.  I’m going to take my Dad to see Memphis and Graceland, then fly down to the Keys to snorkel.  Al and I are going to sit on the beach of a tropical island for about a month.
5)      Speed work.  This usually helps the most when I’m forced to run on the treadmill…because I get sooo bored on the treadmill (it is soul crushing).  For the last mile or two, run at a faster but controllable speed for 30 seconds, then back to normal for a minute and 30 seconds…repeat until you are done.  Try to end on the fast speed because it always feels good to end strong.  This keeps me from getting bored and helps to increase my speed.  On long runs if I end on a flat stretch, I will run the last mile faster than the rest (if I can).  For long distance races, it is extremely important to pace yourself so that you can run the second half of the race faster than the first half.  It is the exact opposite than what your body wants to do (which is take off at the beginning and curl up in a ball on the curb at the end), so it is a real mental game.
Find whatever works for you, change it up, and enjoy the run!!

No comments:

Post a Comment