Monday, November 25, 2013

Nancy Owen's Sweet Potato Souffle

Usually I like to post recipes with step-by-step photos, but I wanted to send this out with enough time for people to add it to their Thanksgiving tables.

I was lucky enough to meet Mrs. Owen through my neighbor in Virginia and dear friend Jen.  Jen and I shared a wall for 4 1/2 years, and that wall was barely there most days.  We walked each other's dogs through grad classes, hand infections, and the day-to-day crazy that life brings.  We ran countless miles including a 1/2 marathon, and hosted many fabulous parties using both small apartments' ovens/storage/seating to the max.

Jen's parents would visit on a regular basis, and I was able to get to know Mrs. Owen.  She had raised two intelligent, beautiful, and strong women, and she loved to throw a party as much (or more) as Jen and I did.  Sadly Mrs. Owen passed away earlier this year, and she is dearly missed.

The first time I had her souffle, Jen brought it to a potluck Thanksgiving celebration.  I had two servings with my meal and a third as my dessert.  I didn't think that what she had done to a sweet potato was even legal, but if I was going to go down for buttery, pecan, sweet potato bliss, I was going to make it worth it.  Here is the recipe:

Nancy Owen's Sweet Potato Souffle
3-4 medium to large sweet potatoes
3/4 stick of butter
3/4 c sugar
2 eggs
1/3 c evaporated milk
1 tsp vanilla

Topping:
1 c brown sugar
1 c pecans, chopped
1/2 c flour
1/3 c melted butter

1. Peel and boil sweet potatoes until very soft. Strain.  Pre-heat oven to 375.

2. Mix sweet potatoes, stick of butter, and sugar until smooth.

3. Beat eggs with evaporated milk, and combine with sweet potato mixture.  Add vanilla.

4. Pour into a greased casserole dish.

5. Mix topping ingredients and spread over the top of the souffle.

6. Bake for 1 hour, and serve warm with a smile!

No comments:

Post a Comment